Saturday, January 24, 2009

SHE SAID: NOTORIOUS (2009)


After some pleading I convinced my boyfriend to finally go see Notorious. I had been hearing good feedback from coworkers and friends so I wanted to check it out. I must say I thought it was a decent movie. I'm not jumping up and down about it, but it was as good if not better than I expected. Jamal Woolard who played Biggie made the movie in my opinion. I'm always a little precarious with biographies because the actor portraying the main character and supporting actors have to be a great fit or it just doesn't work.Jamal Woolard is in actuality a Brooklyn-based rapper better known to many by his hip-hop name, Gravy. I think his real life experience really breathed life into his performance and ultimately made it what it is.

This movie was Undoubtedly a biography about Christopher George Latore Wallace more commonly known as; The Notorious B.I.G. However it also touched on the TuPac Biggie rivalry. More deeply it showed the intensity of the East Coast West Coast fued. The supporting main characters were all great except in my boyfriends opinion; "Puffy's" portrayl. I agree they could of picked a better candidate, but I think he got the job done. I particularly appreciated golden globe winner Angela Bassett who played biggies mother and Antonique Smith who played Biggies wife; Faith Evans. They did a phenomenal job. All in all the movie was very enjoyable. I can't forget to mention that there was PLENTY of T&A for the fellas. Which I'm sure to some is a big seeling point. What I like about the movie the most is that It didn't over glamorize biggie's life. It actually did quite the opposite, and for that I think it was very honest. It showed his struggles and his rise to the top, but it most of all showed his faults and his struggle with coming into his own manhood. For anyone that's a fan of Biggie, tupac or hip-hop free style rap, this movie is a must see! My closing statement has to be: BUT DAMN I'D BE PISSED IF I WAS LITTLE KIM. I give this movie a B-

No comments:

Post a Comment